Author Topic: Gas burner upgrade?  (Read 7073 times)

Offline herbu

• Fire Pit
Gas burner upgrade?
« on: November 27, 2005, 07:42:23 AM »
Hey Ritch.  Still loving my upright water smoker.  Smoked 3 turkey breasts and fried 1 whole turkey for Thanksgiving.  Both were great.  I've used the gas burner for frying dirtbird pieces in a small pot w/ only about a gallon of oil.  Worked fine, but kept it wide open the whole time.  Had to work pretty hard to get oil temp back up to 350 after dropping the pieces in.  Wasn't sure it could handle a big pot w/ 5 gal of oil, so I used my regular turkey fryer.

Do I remember seeing something about upgrading the gas nozzle on the burner for higher/hotter flame?  The gas assist in the firebox really throws out some fire.  Is there something I can do to hotrod the burner?

Thanks, Herb

Offline Carnivore

• Bandit
Gas burner upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 06:27:06 PM »
I fried 4 turkeys for thanksgiving too..  One thing I notice is the 3 and then more so on the 4th.. it was harder to get the oil up to temp. I used my regular stand alone turkey fryer which is a low pressure (12psi I think) that is the same type regulator used on a gas bbq grill. On the 4th bird, after 20 minutes and unable to get it back up to 350.. I moved it to the burner on my gator trailer. The burner on the trailer is a high pressure as is the regulator. The high pressure regulator on the trailer says 18lb while the regulator on the turkey fryer says 12 psi..  bottom line the trailer pit burner with the high pressure burner and a needle valve raised the temp to 350 almost immediately and I had to back off the gas.  The only reason I was cooking on the turkey fryer is that it is lower to the ground and I had more help around than I needed if you know what I mean and thinking keeping it a little lower tothe ground may prevent an accident..   next time I will use the trailer burner anyway because of it's performance.

The burner on the trailer was more expensive than the standard academy burners actually by 2 or 3 times. the needle valve was a lot more expensive too but they work amazingly well together. I can get a much better low or very low flame on the high pressure burner / needle valve setup than I can on the low presssure burner turkey fryer..

my 2 cents worth any...I would say replace with a high pressure reg and high pressure burner.. ck with Ritch..He introduced me to the idea and he was dead on as usual...

Offline Gator Ritch

• Administrator
  • Texas Legend
  • Texas Legend by Gator Pit of Texas
    • Gator Pit of Texas, LP
Gas burner upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 07:47:29 AM »
Herbu, give us a call at my shop and we will offer some suggestions.  I am trying to remember what type of burner, valve, and regulator your pit has, as we have three different types of burner we use on our pits.  If I am not there, talk to Chris or give him your contact phone number and I will call ya back today.  Ritch
Ritchey Robin
Pit Designer and Manufacturer
Gator Pit of Texas
11161 West Little York
Houston, Texas 77041
Toll Free: 1-866-869-5166
Email: info@gatorpit.net
Voted "Best Mobile Barbecue Pit" Houston Pres

Offline bandit05

• Entertainer
  • Bandit Premier
Re: Gas burner upgrade?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:16:50 PM »
Like Carn I have many burners around the house.  A jet burner for boiling, some cheap turkey fryers and then there is the burner on my gator.  The jet burner is loud and does ok while the turkey fryers are ok too but then there is the bad boy burner on the gator!  That sucker sounds like a jet plane on crack!  I use it for everything.

I once heated 4 gallons of peanut oil in 5 minutes to 350*! :  It is MO BAD! ;D

Offline Gator Ritch

• Administrator
  • Texas Legend
  • Texas Legend by Gator Pit of Texas
    • Gator Pit of Texas, LP
Re: Gas burner upgrade?
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 07:35:54 AM »
Like Carn I have many burners around the house.? A jet burner for boiling, some cheap turkey fryers and then there is the burner on my gator.? The jet burner is loud and does ok while the turkey fryers are ok too but then there is the bad boy burner on the gator!? That sucker sounds like a jet plane on crack!? I use it for everything.

I once heated 4 gallons of peanut oil in 5 minutes to 350*! :? It is MO BAD! ;D

:)
Ritchey Robin
Pit Designer and Manufacturer
Gator Pit of Texas
11161 West Little York
Houston, Texas 77041
Toll Free: 1-866-869-5166
Email: info@gatorpit.net
Voted "Best Mobile Barbecue Pit" Houston Pres