Author Topic: BYCC Fire Management and Tuning Plate Settings  (Read 189 times)

Offline Cannonball

• Fire Pit
BYCC Fire Management and Tuning Plate Settings
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:13:26 PM »
I need some advice on how to use my Backyard Classic Chef.  It is a 20" x 40" horizontal with a single door.  It also has a 1/2" x 20" x 20" square firebox.  It has 5 tuning plates that start at the firebox end with the last one just inside the vertical part of the pit.  The firebox has gas assist. 
I seasoned the pit yesterday but had some issues with fire management. I must be missing something.  I added wood every 35 - 45 minutes.  With a 1/2" firebox I did not think I would be adding wood that often.  Both air intakes are fully opened.  I am using wood that I bought with my new pit.  The split logs are about 9 1/2" inches long and vary in width. When new wood is added I keep the door open until the new wood starts to burn then I close the door. Any ideas on how to improve this?

Setting the tuning plates has also been a challenge.  I have tried different setting and none give me the results I want. There are two gauges on the horizontal and one on the upright. The first attempt at adjusting tuning plates starting at FB end:   closed, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1.  The result was temperatures of 250 at FB end, 240 on opposite end and 190 in upright.  Second Attempt: First three plates closed, 1/8 and 1/4.  Temperatures were: 250 at FB end, 230 on opposite end and 200 in upright.  Any ideas on making all three temperatures equal?

Offline Cannonball

• Fire Pit
Re: BYCC Fire Management and Tuning Plate Settings
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:32:04 AM »
Any experience on what size split logs to use in a 20 inch square firebox with gas assist? Main chamber is 20 X 40 with upright.