Author Topic: cleaning "gunk"  (Read 4126 times)

atlaturne

cleaning "gunk"
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:40 PM »
Would one of you gurus please help me with this issue:I have read that you should  not pressure wash out the inside of pit for seasoning reasons.At what point and how do you get out the gunk that accumulates?Do you deal with it before or after pit is fired up.Also,the grease from cooking does not seem to drain very well on my pit..I think   it is not level on the concrete pad it is sitting on.What is best way to raise up the two wheels to tilt it properly to drain to let the grease flow out properly?

Offline Smokin Greenie

• Tailgator Smoker/Grill
  • Fire Pit
Re: cleaning "gunk"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
I would not pressure wash the inside of my pit.  I had a similar issue with mine not self-draining (in my case it is the surface the pit sits on rather than any issue with the pit itself).  I cut two small pieces (say 2x4") of scrap 3/8" plywood to shim under the wheels and it now self-drains just fine.  Cut them small enough to "hide" under the wheels and no one will even notice they are there.

As to how often and when to clean, I clean the day after each smoke.  I know some folks do it on a "when needed" basis, so I could probably skip a smoke or two between cleanings, but I really don't mind the task.  And I only remove the grease and any fat drippings, keeping the seasoned surface intact.

Hope this helps,

SG

Offline Gator Ritch

• Administrator
  • Texas Legend
  • Texas Legend by Gator Pit of Texas
    • Gator Pit of Texas, LP
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »
I clean mine out about every 4 cooks or so.  Unless I load it up full to the max with meat, especially a lot of birds, then I will clean out after that cook.  I do wire the food grates off when I fire the pit off and scrap the TP's clean.  But a good thorough cleaning about every 4-5 cooks.  Take guts out and lightly pressure spray from a distance.  Spray a little cooking oil on the food grates and she is ready for the next cook.
Ritchey Robin
Pit Designer and Manufacturer
Gator Pit of Texas
11161 West Little York
Houston, Texas 77041
Toll Free: 1-866-869-5166
Email: info@gatorpit.net
Voted "Best Mobile Barbecue Pit" Houston Pres

Offline whiskeynwine

• Backyard Classic Chef
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:43:52 AM »
For my Rebel I just scrape out the drippings after every cook.  I also use a disposable drip pan in the water chamber and that helps a lot.  Then, at least twice a year I hose the interior down with a high pressure garden hose.  No need to use a pressure washer or any sort of cleaning agent.  The goal here is to rid the interior of the flakes that occur after several cooks.  I'll also hit the grates with a stiff brush and the hose.  After that I get my leaf blower and completely dry the interior of the pit and then spray a light coating of cooking oil on the interior to prevent rust formation.  I try not to over think the cleaning process.  While we all want clean pits I think less is better.
Life is not a dress rehearsal!

GATOR PIT REBEL

If your already walking on thin ice you might as well dance!

It's easier to get forgiveness than to get permission.