Author Topic: Backstraps with Veal Demi-Glace  (Read 4186 times)

Offline LarryCooke

• Fire Pit
Backstraps with Veal Demi-Glace
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »
This recipe goes well with any steak really... but I love my Venison.. It was published in the book "We Kill It... We Grill It" .. pretty proud of that..  8()

One serving venison “back strap/loin”
Coffee Spice Rub recipe:  Store unused portion in an airtight container to be used on other steaks
1/4 cup Ancho Chile powder
1/4 cup finely ground espresso-roast coffee beans
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground ginger
Veal Demi-Glace:
You can pick up an already made jar at Williams Sonoma…highly recommended.
½ cup water
1/2 package of sliced mushrooms… I use Portobello Mushrooms
1/2 purple onion
1 stick Butter (unsalted)
Brandy or Grand Marnier for sauce/deglazing … I prefer the Grand Marnier.
Kocher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper (grinder with course grind set)
Olive Oil to coat meat
Mesquite wood for cooking/smoking

Coat meat with oil. Season one side of meat with Coffee Spice Rub. Coat the other side with the Kocher salt and course ground Pepper.
In a sauté pan, sauté onions and mushrooms in ½ stick butter till caramelized…deglaze pan with liquor…add 2 heaping table spoons Demi-Glace and stir to incorporate….set aside and keep warm

Have HOT coals/wood going reserving 3 -4 pieces of the mesquite wood…dry… for smoking. Add reserved wood right adding meat to grill. Allow wood to smoke generously and let the meat cook, turning only once, to desired temp… I suggest RARE!  Set meat  aside and let rest for a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile reheat sauté pan of onions and mushrooms till hot. Cut butter into chunks and add to pan. Remove from heat and stir mixture till butter has slowly melted and sauce is smooth and velvety.
Spoon mixture onto plate, slice loin in ½ inch slices, fan out and lay on top of onion and mushrooms. Drizzle the rest of the sauce on top of meat.
I like to serve this with a White Truffle and Parmesan Twice Baked Potato… whole different recipe.  :~
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:05:44 PM by LarryCooke »