Author Topic: using pit for first time-line inside with heavy duty aluminum foil  (Read 4355 times)

atlaturne

Getting ready to use pit for first time.Does anybody recommend lining inside(firebox-cooking chamber) with alum foil to help clean up-or is it necessary or a good idea,etc.What do you do/recommend in this area?Thanks

Offline DarylCincy

• Bandit
    • DW's Southern Cooking
Re: using pit for first time-line inside with heavy duty aluminum foil
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:01:01 PM »
No need to use foil, the grease from the meat you cook will help keep the pit seasoned. At clean up time when the pit is still warm not hot I brush the cooking grates with a steel brush and a scraper and I put some more cooking oil on them. I scrap off the tunning plates with a big scrapper, then take my ash rake I scrap out the bottom of the pit  useing the access door to clean out all the crud with it and a big scrapper and some rags then drain out the pit at the drain valve.
When Firebox is cooled down after a few hours I shovel the ash out then sweep out any shoot and remaining ash so that no mosture can nest in there. I shut all vents after cleaning is complete.
 All this only takes me about 35-40 mins. I clean my pit out after every cook and all the cooked on grease comes off easy.

-Daryl
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:00:30 AM by DarylCincy »
DarylCincy
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarylCincy
24x42cc w/24x22fb Party Gator!

Offline Gator Ritch

• Administrator
  • Texas Legend
  • Texas Legend by Gator Pit of Texas
    • Gator Pit of Texas, LP
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:13:29 AM »
That about does it.   T-up
Ritchey Robin
Pit Designer and Manufacturer
Gator Pit of Texas
11161 West Little York
Houston, Texas 77041
Toll Free: 1-866-869-5166
Email: info@gatorpit.net
Voted "Best Mobile Barbecue Pit" Houston Pres

Offline serialgriller

• Administrator
  • Predator
  • Ankle Deep Cookers
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »
i agree with everything daryl said, but i've often thought about lining my tuning plates with foil.  when the bandit gets her spring cleaning, i hope i remember to give that a try and see how it works........
Iz yo mama Catholic and can she make a roux? -? Unknown cajun