Author Topic: W'cha using as protective covers for your Gators?  (Read 6014 times)

Offline Hot Wheels

• Backyard Classic Chef
W'cha using as protective covers for your Gators?
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
Living in the Sierra Nevada's I am concerned about protecting my Gator from the elements. Anyone have any recommendations for covering other than a Costco tarp?

Offline Hot Wheels

• Backyard Classic Chef
Re: W'cha using as protective covers for your Gators?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:55:57 PM »
Dog gone-it! Reading is fundamental? Just read a previous string on this topic. If there are any new idea's, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
HW
ps: At least I got the topic area right, not bad for a West Coaster!

Offline Zilla

• Administrator
  • Predator
  • Pit: BYCC XL
    • Giant BBQ
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:41:01 AM »
Keeping your pit covered what ever way you can is going to save you a lot of maintenance.   Having a covered cooking area is the best way to do it but not everyone has that option.  I heavy duty tarp will go a long way to keeping the rust at bay.  There are even a few companies that can make a custom cover and as your pit is reasonably sized it shouldn't cost too much....
Zilla
-- -------------------------------------------
GIANT BBQ

Offline DarylCincy

• Bandit
    • DW's Southern Cooking
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:54:27 AM »
I built a sturdy tarp canopy with 1 5/8" 16ga. tubes. I also got sides and end zipper doors not in picture
Pic.

[img][/img]
A few weeks before I went to pick-up my Gator
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:00:06 AM by DarylCincy »
DarylCincy
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarylCincy
24x42cc w/24x22fb Party Gator!

Offline whiskeynwine

• Backyard Classic Chef
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 07:36:14 AM »
I know I go sometimes go against the grain with my responses and this is one of those times.  I haven't covered my Rebel since I got it.  It sits on my patio ready to light up at any time.  All I do is wash the exterior after a couple of cooks and then wipe it down with peanut oil.  The interior gets scraped and rinsed out as well.  I'll just leave the doors open so it can dry or sometimes I'll light it up with a small fire just for cleaning purposes if time allows.  My big problem with covering the pit is I think a cover holds to much moisture in the pit.  I would rather have the air circulating around the pit.  Secondly, even here in Jersey we have critters that like to nest in warm, cozy places.  Many times I have uncovered my wood pile to find squirrels or chipmunks trying to raise a family.  And third,  when it has rained or snowed I hate dealing with a wet tarp.  When I get the chance to cook I want as little extra work as possible.  To me, a tarp or cover is added work.
Life is not a dress rehearsal!

GATOR PIT REBEL

If your already walking on thin ice you might as well dance!

It's easier to get forgiveness than to get permission.

Offline Hot Wheels

• Backyard Classic Chef
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 05:48:10 PM »
Thanks all, WW, you know I was just thinking/remembering, duh, I live in a very dry climate. I don't believe I will have to battle Rust like some of the other Gators. I will try your suggestion(s). I think if I do that and keep it under something as Z and DC suggested as well, we'll be fine. Besides, I'd rather save the $$ for Wood, Beer you know, slow cooking stuff.
HW

Offline Sharpshooter

• Fire Pit
  • Pit: BYCC
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 11:41:13 PM »
I had a custom cover made for mine by Mels Custom Covers in Indiana.  I did a rough sketch with the measurements and now have a nice, very heavy vinyl cover for my pit.  Not nearly as expensive as you would think either.

Sharpshooter
Bycc, Bar-B-Chef charcoal grill, Big Green Egg and Viking gas grill (my wifes actually).