Author Topic: Door latches  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Texas 1836

• Fire Pit
Door latches
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:24:59 AM »
The door latch on my firebox is seized up.  I'm sure its a build up of smoke, grease, etc. Whats the best way to free that up?  It doesn't seem bolted like the air vent that I can just back out and replace. (Thanks for that tip Ritch).  Plus, I want to do whatever preventative to keep the smoking chamber latch from seizing.  Any suggestions?

Offline Gator Ritch

• Administrator
  • Texas Legend
  • Texas Legend by Gator Pit of Texas
    • Gator Pit of Texas, LP
Re: Door latches
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:32:46 AM »
Can be one or both of two things.  One, build up of gunk between the interior washer and exterior washer that supports the 1/2" rod thru the firebox door.  Squirt ya some WD40 in there and work the handle back and forth to loosen it up.  Second, under high heat, the steel can expand and contract as much as a 1/4" during a cook.  Overtime, this can cause the handle to tighten up.  Again, squirt ya some WD40 and work the handle.  Also, you can pull the 1/2" rod out a bit.  I am referring to the inside of door where the 1/2" rod locks the firebox door.  It doesn't take much to loosen this up.  If you do it too much, you can knock it back in with a hammer to tighten it up.  This may sound complicated.  It really isn't.  Takes all of about 30 seconds to adjust.
Ritchey Robin
Pit Designer and Manufacturer
Gator Pit of Texas
11161 West Little York
Houston, Texas 77041
Toll Free: 1-866-869-5166
Email: info@gatorpit.net
Voted "Best Mobile Barbecue Pit" Houston Pres