Author Topic: 1/2" firebox  (Read 1506 times)

Offline sprocket

• Backyard Classic Chef
1/2" firebox
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »
I guess I'll start another topic on the merits of a 1/2" firebox.  Worth the money if you're not freezing your marbles off up North?  Let's have the experience chime in.....thanks   8()

Offline serialgriller

• Administrator
  • Predator
  • Ankle Deep Cookers
Re: 1/2" firebox
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:36:32 PM »
i got 5/8" on my firebox.  when i ordered my bandit i was going to upgrade to 3/8", but at the time ritch had some 5/8" for the same price.  that 5/8" will really hold some heat and recovers well from rain or a front blowing thru.  if it was me, i'd go for it.
Iz yo mama Catholic and can she make a roux? -? Unknown cajun

Offline Carnivore

• Bandit
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:32:30 AM »
I have a 1/2 inch firebox and love it. My first gator was 1/4" and although it cooked very well (it was a 2o" x 40" party gator) my 24" x 48" with an upright which has the 1/2" fb is much more forgiving and maintains a much more even temp.

After it has been cooking for 2-3 hours, I only add a log about every hour and let it do it's thing. I would have to spend some time with a 24" insulated fb to really see if I would like it. It could possibly be more efficient on wood consumption however my 24 with an upright doesn't use much more wood than my 20" x 40" party gator did. I would definately go with 1/2" again if I had to make the decision all over...

Offline sprocket

• Backyard Classic Chef
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:23:13 PM »
I decided to definately do the 1/2".  I am also dropping the counterweight single door and putting the savings towards six more inches on my pit.  That will bring me to 52".  I think the extra length with two doors will be money better spent. T-up

Offline jimmyjames

• Fire Pit
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 09:47:08 AM »
I have been thinking of going with a 1/2 inch firebox as well. I wouldn't want any rivets put in it for the stainless gator. I would have to go with the three amigo's since i believe there welded. The reason i have been thinking about it, if it rains while i am cooking if it would hold the temp? If so how much would it drop compare to the 1/4 inch firebox?

Offline CB83

• BBQ Aficionado
  • Fire Pit
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
I have been thinking of going with a 1/2 inch firebox as well. I wouldn't want any rivets put in it for the stainless gator. I would have to go with the three amigo's since i believe there welded. The reason i have been thinking about it, if it rains while i am cooking if it would hold the temp? If so how much would it drop compare to the 1/4 inch firebox?

Don't quote me on the exact numbers....but my 1/2" thick square firebox, attached to my 2448 with an upright went from about 250 down to about 200 degrees during a decent rain storm that came through Houston.....same rainstorm on my cheapo pit out back would've dropped it by easily over 100 degrees. I think through hat 1/2" box is worth every penny.....a few other things that help is through hate always make sure your wood is dry ( I like to preheat mine on the firebox....but thats just me) and throughhatohats other thing is  that if you know the rain is coming, don't be afraid to throw an extra log or two in the box and let the temp rise.....that way as the rain cools it off you won't drop as much  T-up