Author Topic: Hamburgers  (Read 11179 times)

Offline bandit05

• Entertainer
  • Bandit Premier
Hamburgers
« on: April 11, 2005, 02:45:05 PM »
Anyone got a good hamburger recipe?

Offline Grand Scale

• Bandit
Hamburgers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 03:46:17 PM »
My favorite is what has become known as the "Bacon Burger Dog" or "Heart Stopper"
I start with Lean Ground Beef, mix in chopped onions, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped jalapenos, worcheshire sauce, garlic powder, mustard powder and ketchup as a binder. I then take a high quality ballpark or deli style frank and encase it in the hamburger mixture. This is a somewhat tricky process that is more like sculpting than cooking but it worth the effort. Proceed until you have about 1/4 lb of beef surrounding the hotdog on all sides. Finally wrap the entire monster in bacon fixing it with a toothpick or two. Cook on the grill on low heat so as to cook through to the hotdog without burning the bacon. Serve on a hogie roll (a standard hot dog being way to small), include all your favorite condiments and cold beer. Serve with a side of Lipitor!

Offline bandit05

• Entertainer
  • Bandit Premier
Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 03:53:54 PM »
Yea Lipitor on the side, but it sounds great!

Offline Jersey BBQ

• Backyard Classic Chef
  • Pit: Back Yard Classic Lone Star Edition
Hamburgers
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 04:16:41 PM »
OH man that sounds good.... The HEART STOPPER is the best name.. But your party guests would still order up another one. I am wondering how the word "Hoagie" is going to go over? " A WHAT KIND OF ROLL"? You know... a Wawa Hoagie roll... SAY WHAT?

Offline TexLaw

• Bandit
Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:53:33 AM »
Good night, that sounds good!  

However, when I am really going for a burger, I like something very simple.  I know too many folks who only use the beef as some medium to carry all the junk that the mix in with it.  I like beef, so I just want to compliment it.

Start with ground chuck (or something else around 80% lean).  Anything leaner is too likely to dry out on you.  I know a guy who uses nothing but ground sirloin.  Why?  Because he likes dry burgers.  Add salt, worcestshire sauce, and very finely minced onion.  

I've never measured it, but I would estimate about one good three-fingered pinch of kosher salt per pound of ground beef, maybe a little (but just a little) more.  You don't want to taste salt; you want to taste more beef.  

Add worcestshire until you can just smell it after you've mixed it in a little.  Again, I've never measured, but I'd go with 3-4 good dashes per pound.  You can always add a little more if you think you need it, but don't go overboard.

For the onion, add about 1/8-1/4 cup finely minced onion per pound.  About half a small onion for two pounds works pretty well.  Again, you aren't trying to turn these into onion burgers.  You're just trying to add some subtle, complimentary flavor to bring out the beef.  Using the raw, minced onion also adds some moisture.  Mince up the onion very, very well.  Otherwise, it can destroy the integrity of the patty.

If you have the time, mix everything up and let it sit, refrigerated, for an hour or so.  If you don't have the time, you can just go straight to making patties.

I like my patties to be at least 1/3 pound (although I may make a few quarter-pounders if I'm feeding some small children).  Often, it's a little closer to 1/2 pound (but not quite there).  That size patty fits well on your "standard" bun with a good thickness that keeps it moist.  Flatten out your patties very well when you make them.  Make them flatter and wider than you think you need to, as they will shrink up on the grill.

Grill over a hot fire with a handful of wood chips.  Only build a fire under half your grate.  Grill 2-3 minutes on each side (i'm usually closer to 2), or until the release fairly easily from the grate.  Cover if you need to keep down a fire.  Then, move the patties to the cool side of the grill, cover, and let them cook for another few minutes.  That will make sure they are done, and it will add more smoke flavor.

I've made this recipe for anywhere from 1-9 pounds of ground beef.  I've never received anything other than compliments.  They are some good burgers, and they taste like beef.

TL

Offline bandit05

• Entertainer
  • Bandit Premier
Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 09:16:20 AM »
I like both recipes.  
I also like to take Dale's seasoning and dip the patty into a bowl of it and place the burger on the smoker or grill with the Dale's side of the burger on top.  Do not add any salt if you use this method.  Keeps the burgers juicy.

Offline Bob-BQN

• Bandit
  • Entertainer - The Liberator
    • http://www.romineinc.com/BBQ/index.htm
Hamburgers
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 01:01:26 PM »
We buy a 5 pound log of hamburger and make 8 Texas-sized burgers from it 5/8 lb. each. :shock: I make them using Scott's wonderful recipe: http://www.spfranz.com/Q/smoked_burgers.htm

Offline bandit05

• Entertainer
  • Bandit Premier
Hamburgers
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 01:19:13 PM »
Bob do you have the recipe for the bacon onion butter?

Offline Bob-BQN

• Bandit
  • Entertainer - The Liberator
    • http://www.romineinc.com/BBQ/index.htm
Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 08:42:01 AM »
Fry a couple slices of bacon, let cool and crumble or chop into fine pieces.
Finely chop a half an onion, mince a clove or two of garlic and brown in bacon grease until soft. Allow to cool.
Soften a stick of butter at room temperature and mix in the bacon, onion, and garlic.
You can make the butter ahead of time and refrigerate or use immediately. I've found that it spreads easier when at room temperature so if you refrigerate it allow it to set out before use.

You can alter the ingredients in the butter to your favorite flavors substituting for herbs, mushrooms, hot sauce, jalapenos, etc. You can also use more or less of an ingredient to your taste.

Offline bandit05

• Entertainer
  • Bandit Premier
Hamburgers
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 09:02:31 AM »
thanks Bob, Sounds great

Offline one crazy chic

• Backyard Classic Chef
Hamburgers
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 11:58:53 AM »
I agree with Tex-Law about flattening the patties. Too many home cooked burgers end up like little meatballs. Use a gentle touch when shaping though. Overhandling the meat will result in a firm compact texture after cooking.  Try using a rolling pin for even flatness and minimal handling.  Also don't press or flatten with spatula during cooking or you'll squeeze out all the juice and end up with a dry burger.
Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Offline BBQer

• Fire Pit
Re: Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 12:05:36 PM »
that heart stopper sandwich sounds really good. anything with bacon really is good.  {yes]%3