Author Topic: Essential BBQ tools and accessories  (Read 18924 times)

Offline Rory

• Fire Pit
Essential BBQ tools and accessories
« on: May 01, 2006, 06:45:33 PM »
In anticipation of my pit's arrival next week, I'm starting to buy peripheral supplies that I'll need for each cook.  I was hoping that people could tell me a few of their most valued utensils, tools, accesories, etc.

I'll be cooking for about 300 people, with a combination of smoked and grilled meats.  Assume sides and sauces will be purchased or prepared off-site.  Everything will be served in disposable aluminum trays.

My preliminary list is:
- Coolers (not sure how many or how big I need) to store cold meat before cooking and warm meat after cooking.
- 4-6 Cambro or similar 18 qt. food containers for marinating, brining, etc.
- 4-6 4 qt Cambro containers for sauces, rubs, etc.
- At least 3 18" x 26" Cutting boards
- 10" Scimitar type knife
- paring knife
- 6 pairs of 16" tongs (primarily for grilling and serving)
- 2 pairs of BBQ gloves (for handling large cuts of meat)
- a dozen 12 oz squeeze bottles for sauce
- 2 chimney starters
- 3 each Stainless steel mixing bowls in 3, 5 and 8 qt capacities for mixing sauces, rubs, etc.
- 4 spray bottles for grill flame control, as well as basting meat with apple juice, etc.
- 2 hamburger turners
- a few large spoons
- a few funnels for the squeeze and spray bottles
- large and small grill brushes

What am I missing?  What don't I need to bother with?  How many of what size of coolers should I get?  Please help!
Stop. Think. There must be a harder way.

Offline Carnivore

• Bandit
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:19:11 PM »
Tequila, triple sec, limeade and Ice.

Offline serialgriller

• Administrator
  • Predator
  • Ankle Deep Cookers
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:33:57 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Iz yo mama Catholic and can she make a roux? -? Unknown cajun

Offline droller

• Backyard Classic Chef
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:56:52 PM »
Quote from: Carnivore

A couple of Bad Santa's elves should go well with this.
God gives me martinis (and pulled pork and ribs) because He loves me and wants me to be happy.

Offline Rory

• Fire Pit
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:44:05 PM »

Nice.  Will definitely have some of that going.  Gotta keep it on the sly though since I'll be at work...

Offline txpgapro

• Entertainer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 09:49:35 PM »
Got to have a jam box!  Something to play some Conway Twitty and some Zydeco music on.  

"You stole my chicken"! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Fairway's & Green's Pard'!
              Mike

"The more I'm around some people, the more I like my dog." -- Sonny Burgess

Offline BearBonez

• Backyard Classic Chef
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 09:39:09 AM »
 :shock:

I guessin I gunna have to show how to make margaritas at Q'fest.  8)
 Whatever happened to those travelin bars they used to make way back?? Some things should have stayed in style.

Offline Hankerin Bar-B-Q

• Fire Pit
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 12:56:06 PM »
Hi Rory,

Oh yeah, definitely a load of your favorite refreshing beverage and a lot of good music....for sure.   :lol:
Here's a few more suggestions:

__Ash pan or bucket
__Grease bucket
__Box or 2 of stretchy vinyl gloves (for me they make handling raw food easier and easier clean up)
__You might want to double up on your BBQ gloves in case they get cut on accident. I don't know what kinda gloves your getting, but on mine, the fingers tend to get hard after enough exposure to heat and that reduces grip.
__On the ice chests, I've got a 70qt Coleman Xtreme (5-day cooler) and I love it for both keeping raw meat on ice and holding hot 'Q, but it's not big enough to hold enough raw mixed meat on ice for 70 people. I saw on their website that they make 100qt size. How about 4 - 100qt coolers to start?
__Furniture dollies. Why you ask? Because those ice chests full of meat get HEAVY. They make it easy to maneuver all that weight without needing help or hurting oneself (except for loading and unloading).
__Full size "bun pans". I like to set my cutting board in these pans while I'm slicing up cooked Q. That way I don't have to worry about the juices running all over the place and making a bigger mess to clean up. They keep the juices and scraps contained. You can find'em at restaurant supply stores.
__With all that Q you have to serve, you might want to think about a tall work surface for slicing all that Q. I know bending over for a while, trying to slice up a bunch of meat, makes my back ache.
__Maybe a water hose for washing up
__Oh, don't forget a bottle opener  :wink:

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Happy Q'ing!

Offline Rory

• Fire Pit
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 01:11:27 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions Hankerin'!  The sheet pans for under the cutting boards sounds like a great idea, and the buckets are a no-brainer.  For the raised cutting surface, someone on another board suggested using pieces of pvc pipe to raise the legs on a standard 30" high folding table, so I'm going to try that.  Music and beverages will abound fer sure.

Offline Pitmaster

• Fire Pit
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 03:28:34 PM »
Rory,

What's the occasion? I'm not too far from you, maybe I can see that pit in action (like I really need anymore convincing).
John

Offline NHSmoker

• Backyard Classic Chef
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 03:35:40 PM »
A few items off the top of my head:
*A large supply of bar towels with a container for the dirty ones
*Digital/Wireless Thermometer for cooking chamber temp and meat temp
*Trash cans
*Lighting of some kind
*Extension cords

I used to work for a tent company and we had catering tables for the cook tent.  They had a solid heavy duty laminate top, were heavy so they were very stable, and were taller to avoid so much back pain.  I'm sure a restaurant supply store would sell them .  

Good Luck
"You can't drink all day, unless you start in the morning!"

Offline Rory

• Fire Pit
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 05:10:40 PM »
Quote from: Pitmaster
Rory,

What's the occasion? I'm not too far from you, maybe I can see that pit in action (like I really need anymore convincing).

Not sure exactly when the first big cook will be, probably a friday toward the end of may.  Maybe the 26th?  

The pit is supposed to come next week, so I'll probably be doing a practice run the following weekend.  I'll try and remember to PM you when I'm cooking.   Feel free to PM me and bug me if you haven't heard from me within a couple weeks.

NHSmoker - sounds like a good list.  I'll have to look into those catering tables.

Offline Pitmaster

• Fire Pit
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »
Thanks Rory. Unfortunately, I will be in Texas on vacation from the 25th to the 30th. Please do let me know when the next one is, I'd really like to see the pit. Which one did you get. CRS!
John

Offline Rory

• Fire Pit
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 06:00:50 PM »
My company bought Bolo's old pit, there's a thread about it in the Used Gator section.  We are adding another 2'x4' grill in place of the stainless table and a sign with our company logo, otherwise we are leaving it as-is.  Should arrive next week.  Pics are here:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=p6ybyeo.7ls9030&Uy=7enjjk&Ux=1

Offline Bolo7735

• Backyard Classic Chef
    • http://www.nipponpower.com
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 07:10:11 PM »
Hey Rory, Dont forget about the ICE COLD BEER.  :D  Get dark color cooler. White cooler will get dirty and stained from long usage. The cooler will not look pleasing to your guest when you are pulling the meat out even if the cooler is clean. If possible get them with wheels.
Get seprate cutting broads for raw polutry and red meats. This will keep your food from cross contamination.

You must be so excite to get your pit. With the extra grill it going to be a mean cooking machine. Make sure you take some pictures of the Gator pit in action.